Saturday, June 14, 2008

picture takin' tips...

A girl at work was asking me about taking pictures.

So I thought I would just share a few tips...

I am not a professional,
just an amateur having fun with my camera...

1. Get closer to your subject.
When you think you are close enough take two steps closer.

2. Experiment.
Try different settings on your camera.
You might like what you try.

3. Read the manual that comes with you camera.
Seriously! I keep mine with me to refer to if I have questions.

4. Read photography books and browse photography websites.
Here are some of my favs...
Lisa Russo- She takes beautiful pics, especially newborn and maternity pics.
Tara Whitney- Love her! Her blog is a great read too. Her pics rock!!!
Tonya Joy
A great website featuring lots of awesome photographers.
Two Peas in a Bucket
The book Designing with Photos is awesome!
When I first got my film Canon Rebel I bought Photography for Dummies.

5. Before I snap a picture I make sure I look in all 4 corners of my viewfinder.
This insures that you are getting exactly what you want to get.

6. Don't be afraid to cut someones head off. :)
Some of the coolest pictures I've seen include cut off heads...etc.
(Examples on Tara Whitney's website above.)

7. Go digital. You can take pictures, review,
delete and retake if you aren't happy with the first one.

8. Read this and this... so true!

9. Look at your background...
Does it add to or take away from your subject?
Sometimes getting closer can take away distractions in the background.

10. Try different angles.
The most interesting pictures are usually not straight on.
Get above or below your subject.
Tilt your camera.

Do you have any tips to share?

No comments: